In the first of a series of regular podcasts, Abby Bryson, Campus Recruiter at global research and advisory firm Gartner joined Will, Sarah and Matt from Henley Careers and Professional Development to share some key insights as to the state of the labour market in the UK. This podcast was created to help Henley Business School students understand UK market trends as of April 2020.
Listen to the podcast here
Matt shared some insights from his research, with headlines suggesting:
- Firms have been agile in responding to the move the remote working and have adapted their recruitment process with an increase in already well established practices of video interviewing and other online assessments.
- There is still a willingness from recruiters to try and accommodate insight weeks, internships, placement and graduate roles where possible, by offering these as either remote experiences or pushing them back to later in the year.
Abby from Gartner shared some useful tips and encouraged students and job seekers, including:
- Use this time to undertake detailed research of your desired employers and companies and reach out to employees working within a similar role to the one you’re targeting.
- Keep in touch with recruiters even if you have had an offer rescinded as they will still want to retain good relationships with top talent for when they are in a position to hire again.
- Hone and practice your video interviewing skills and ensure you’re prepared for either a pre-recorded video interview or a ‘live’ video interview with a recruiter.
Links to content referred to in the podcast:
- Audio Transcript
- Part Time Work and Volunteering Webinar
- Careers at Gartner
- Book an appointment with a Careers Consultant