Heard of us, but not sure what we have to do with your time at uni?
Well, let me enlighten you.
We are a dedicated careers service for Henley Business School and ICMA Centre students at the University of Reading. As a Henley or ICMA Centre student, you get the benefits of the main UoR Careers Service, as well as us! We have knowledge and experience in the world of business, finance, accounting and real estate, and we can support you in progressing your career.
What do we do?
- Work with organisations to deliver events.
- Run other events to help you develop the skills employers are looking for in graduates.
- Provide job opportunity information from the organisations we work work with.
- Occasionally run exclusive assessment centres with organisations we work with.
- Teach on your course.
- Have one-to-one appointments available for you to speak to a qualified and experienced Careers Consultants about anything related to your career.
- Send you weekly newsletters with updates about how you can improve your professional development.
- Provide career information on our Blackboard page.
- Provide you with access to external resources, like Vmock, which uses AI to check your CV
What don’t we do?
- Apply for jobs on your behalf.
- Give unbalanced and unrealistic advice.
- Spoon-feed you.
- Force you to do anything you don’t want to do.
- Do everything for you (research shows if you are self-reliant you are more likely to achieve a higher levels of success).
In a nutshell?
We’re here to support you in your career journey, no matter what stage you are at.
What do we look like?
It’s always nice to put a face to a name!
You can find out more about us on our website.
We also have sessional Career Coaches who help us with appointments when it gets really busy in the autumn term.
They are Ebru Altinors, Derek Walker, Zahra Carnochan and Helen Slingsby.
How can you get involved?
There are two websites for you to remember:
This is where you can book appointments and events, and where you can look for job opportunities or work experience that organisations want you to know about.
We have a page on Blackboard with all our resources, including videos, templates and links to external resources. You can find us on My Blackboard, My Organisations, Henley Careers.
If you are an MBA student, you will find this on Canvas instead of Blackboard.
You can also follow us on Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook and/or Twitter, where we post about events, opportunities and interesting articles. Do get involved in the conversation and feel free to tag us in posts too.
And don’t be shy to say hello! We’re here to support you and we’d love to get to know you. The earlier you start thinking about your career, the better.
See you soon!